I couldn't do life without him!

Monday, March 29, 2010

The 19th Wife

In no way do I consider myself a well versed book critic, but I do adore reading. Blog land allows me to express my small opinion of books I read so here I go.

The 19th Wife is two stories in one. The genre is historical fiction. The story, is about Ann Eliza, also known as Brigham Young's "19th" wife, and how she escaped the cult of polygamy in the 1800's. Parts of her biography are intertwined into this book. It is also a story in current times of a son who was kicked out of a polygamous compound in Utah, but goes back to prove his mother is innocent of murder.

It wasn't a book that I couldn't put down, in fact sometimes I had to because of the depiction of these poor women and children's lives. It was disturbing to read at times realizing that some of these facts were true. Unbelievable, but true. I had a lot of questions at the end, but I know that any answer given me probably wouldn't satisfy because of my own personal beliefs and my own relationship with God. I wouldn't be able to be a neutral commentator for this book for sure. Was it worth the read? I guess so.

No comments:

Post a Comment