Today was our official first day of homeschooling. The 2 weeks before Christmas break were to get our feet wet.
We started with typing practice and a math game. Those went just fine. Then I broke out the Reading Comprehension workbook. Yikes! In my mind I thought we'd read the story together and then I would help him with the questions at the end. I believe it is important to read out loud and I told him I'd read a paragraph then he would read. Wow! That didn't go as planned. He wouldn't read. Refused. Folded his arms and just sat there. I thought to myself, "Remain calm, he is testing you"!
As I watched the minutes tick by I finally said he'd have to pay back those lost minutes with chores that no one wants to do (i.e. clean up after the dog, scrub toilets..you get the picture). Still nothing! Finally I got up and walked away all the while staying calm, but really not sure how to handle the defiance.
After 10 minutes I told him to put his shoes on and go outside to clean up after the dog. He finally said, "I don't feel comfortable reading out loud"! SHEESH! Really? It took all of that threatening and stuborness to get here?
So, in all my wisdom I said he could read it to himself and answer all the questions by himself unless he asked for help. SUCCESS! He needed a little help but did the reading and the work focused and without a fuss.
O.K., so this was a HUGE learning experience for me today! He doesn't need mommy by his side every moment. I also need to have more confidence in his own abilities. I am such a control freak and I hover too much sometimes.
Tomorrow will have it's troubles of it's own, but I intend to "Keep Calm & Carry On"!
Monday, January 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment