I couldn't do life without him!

Friday, February 5, 2010

A Lineage of Grace



Hope*Faith*Love*Grace*Obedience

I recently finished reading this book. Five stories of 5 lives contained in 1 book. Five women whom God chose: Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary. It was amazing. Rivers' fictional storyline based on Biblical events pulled me into the lives of these women like I've never imagined them to be.

Tamar taught me about honoring my husband above all else. What a challenge this is on so many levels. My daily life, schedule, stress, etc. always pulls to the direction of "me". What "I" need to get done. How tired "I" am. The kids pull at me. How unfair of him to ask for my help, advice, or listening ear right now...can't he see I have so much to do. Now, not every day is like this, but there are those days. Tamar proved to be a submissive wife, honoring her husband at every horrible moment of her life. My life is not horrible, and my husband is wonderful to me. How can I not be humbled and somewhat chastised by her example?

Rahab taught me about steadfastness. She was not an Israelite. She knew her situation was hopeless. She knew there was something more to life. She WANTED the God of the Israelites to be her God! She was relentless in her steadfastness. When her world was literally crumbling around her she hung on to the one promise an Israelite made to her. That she would be saved, but she'd have to wait. What determination it took for her to not crumble under the pressure of her people as the walls were coming down. She didn't run. She stood fast and waited. I pray my faith is that strong. I believe it is, but I'm challenged by her example. When life gets hard do I run to the easy way out, or do I stand firm allowing God to rescue me in His timing? She AND her household were saved because of her steadfastness.

Ruth taught me to desire that which is Godly. She was married into the line of God's people, but her people did not believe in God. When her husband died she could have stayed and lived a spoiled life with her family, yet she chose to return to Bethlehem with her widowed mother-in-law because she saw her faith in her God lived out daily. Ruth desired God over comfort. She chose a way of life that was not her own. She embraced the Law because she wanted the blessing of God in her life not the material possessions she could have stayed back for. Am I willing to completely leave all my comforts of home to follow God? This is probably one of the most difficult challenges I could ever face. If He doesn't call me to do this do I at least have a heart that would be willing?

Bathsheba. I wonder what you think of when you think of her? I know the story I've always been told, and who she'll always be known as, but now all I can think of is grace when I hear her name. She taught me to keep a fresh, awe filled, humble, acute sense of God's grace and forgiveness despite my sin. What lavish love God bestowed on her. Proving His goodness and mercy to carry out His plan even though she made a terrible mistake. He still used her. I'm never too far out of His reach of grace for Him to carry out His plan in me.

Mary, mother of Jesus. This story really got to me because I've never imagined her life as possibly being as hard as it is told here. She was chosen by God to be the earthly mother to the Savior of this world! What hope filled her! What could possibly go wrong when the promised Deliverer was finally here! Everyone would see and celebrate their freedom was near! Oh could she be more wrong? Not wrong that He came to set them free, but she never imagined people would ridicule and hurt her and her Son in such a way. Did she feel so left out of Jesus' life and suffered the pain of a mother's heart broken when He left to gather His disciples? Mary taught me that when God makes us part of His plan we may think we've got it all figured out, but His ways are not always fully made known to us. We couldn't handle it! Mary never could have imagined her story would end the way it did. Yet, she never stopped believing that God's plan was sovereign. When God calls me to be part of His plan I hope I remember not to make it about me, never stop believing, and worship Him at all times as Lord of my life.

I finished this book about 2 weeks ago and can't stop thinking about it. I have a feeling I will re-visit it again with anticipation of the lives of five amazing women unfolding before me with God's fingerprints all over them!

No comments:

Post a Comment